Eight Great Tips to Avoid Having your Ride Swiped
Statistics from the FBI show that upward of 700,000 vehicles are lifted each year, with metropolitan areas in California, Washington and Texas having the highest auto theft rates. And if you own a Honda Accord or Civic, you're at particular risk. These popular rides known for their reliabilty top the National Insurance Crime Bureau's list of the most stolen vehicles in 2014.
To avoid contributing to such statistics, E3 Spark Plugs offers these eight great tips for avoiding having your ride disappear from the parking lot or driveway:
- Drive a manual: An ever growing percentage of Americans don't know how or simply don't want to drive a manual. And if they can't drive it, they can't steal it.
- Take your steering wheel with you: Quick release steering wheel kits are increasingly popular options for deterring theft.
- Lock your doors: This one should be a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised at just how many car owners fail to lock up, particularly in areas they deem as safe, like quite neighborhoods and church parking lots. But not having to jimmy your lock gives a crook more time to find your spare key or hotwire your car.
- Get a hidden kill switch: They're available at automotive parts shops and work by connecting an on/off toggle to the positive circuit of you ride's fuel pump. These small switches can be hidden in a range of inconspicuous spots like under the seat, in the trunk, beneath the dashboard or in the glovebox.
- Park smart: Choose a parking spot that's well lit and visible from inside the store, coffee shop, restaurant, etc. where you plan to be for a while.
- Take your valuables with you: Or at least hide them from view of passersby. That new iPod and little blue Tiffany-type box can prove a tempting bonus to a car thief who might otherwise have chosen the ride next to yours instead.
- Get a car alarn: Or fake it with a sticker that says your car is armed with one. The thought of setting off that screaming siren-like sound is enough to send would-be thieves elsewhere.
- Garage it: If it's easier to reach, it's easier to steal.
Got more tips for keeing your ride safe from crooks? Post them on the E3 Spark Plugs Facebook Fan Page.