Hot Wheels: Honda Accord, Civic Named Most Stolen Rides of 2014
Drive a Honda? You might want to look into a few theft-deterrent options. That's because the Honda Accord and Honda Civic took the top two spots on the National Insurance Crime Bureau's list of the most stolent rides in 2014. The nearest contenders weren't even close.
The news comes as no surprise to insurance pros and law enforcement. The same two cars topped the annual list last year as well. Experts point to the fact that both models are known for reliability, which means many older models remain on the roadways - and those older rides lack modern security features that come standard in more recently manufactured vehicles. Plus, their enduring popularity makes them less noticeable when the BOLOs go out.
Here's the NICB's list of the 10 models most likely to disappear from America's driveways:
- Honda Accord - 51,290 total thefts
- Honda Civic - 43,936 total thefts
- Ford pickup, full size - 28,680 total thefts
- Chevrolet pickup, full size - 23,196 total thefts
- Toyota Camry - 14,605 total thefts
- Dodge pickup, full size - 11,075 total thefts
- Dodge Caravan - 10,483 total thefts
- Nissan Altima - 9,109 total thefts
- Acura Integra - 6,902 total thefts
- Nissan Maxima - 6,586 total thefts