Geico Honda Powersports Trey Canard continued his winning ways in the 250cc Lites class this weekend with a dominating performance over Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Christophe Pourcel at Washougal, WA. E3 Spark Plugs Racing fans watched as Oklahoma’s Canard roosted his way over the top of Horsepower Hill in first place of both motos and claimed his third straight victory in the 2010 Lucas Oil AMA Pro Championship. This was the 30th year that the world’s best AMA pro motocross riders carved their way through the deep loamy soil of the legendary high-speed track at the Washougal National MX Park.
Championship points leader Pourcel was on damage control in the opening moto with an impressive ride through the field for a second place finish behind Canard in Moto One. As Canard took his first ever win in an opening moto, Pourcel’s Monster Energy teammates Jake Weimer and Tyla Rattray pushed each other to the finish line for third and fourth place, respectively. The other Pro Circuit Kawasaki 250cc Lites teammate, Dean Wilson, went down early in the opening moto at Washougal but recovered to finish in sixth place behind Honda rider Blake Wharton.
In Moto Two, Wilson and Canard had an old fashioned drag race to turn one as the Canadian Kawasaki rider tried to push Canard wide but the Honda ace held his line and rocketed to the top of Horsepower Hill to eventually lead every lap of both motos in the 250cc Lites class. Wilson fell victim to the field when he crashed early on during the second moto relinquishing the position to his teammate Pourcel. South African 250cc World Champion Tyla Rattray continued to show speed and consistency finishing in third ahead of Wharton and Ecuador’s Martin Davalos.
Canard’s 1-1 finishes put the Honda rider on top of the podium for the third consecutive race in a row giving the Honda ace the most overall wins this season so far in the 250cc class. With only three rounds left in the Lucas Oil AMA MX Championship, Pourcel’s points lead has slipped to only 38 points ahead of Canard. Rattray claimed the final step on the podium with a third overall on the day ahead of Wharton, Wilson and Weimer. The winner of round one at Hangtown MX, Eli Tomac, appears to be recovering from an early season case of heat exhaustion with a seventh place overall at Washougal.
The AMA pro riders have two weeks off before teams travel to the opposite coast for Round 9 of the 2010 Lucas Oil AMA Pro MX Championship at the famed Unadilla MX track in New Berlin, New York. Don’t forget to check the E3 Spark Plugs Blog for the latest results from the hills of the Leatherneck region of central New York State and remember to ask for E3 Spark Plugs the next time you change plugs in your car, truck, motorcycle or lawn & garden equipment. Let our patented DiamondFire technology deliver Energy, Efficiency and Ecology for your favorite engine.
2010 Lucas Oil AMA Motocross Pro MX Championship
AMA 250cc MX – Washougal MX Park Round 8
1) Trey Canard, Shawnee, OK., Honda (1-1)
2) Christophe Pourcel, France, Kawasaki (2,2)
3) Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki (4-3)
4) Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, TX, Honda (5,4)
5) Dean Wilson, Canada, Kawasaki (6,6)
6) Jake Weimer, Rupert, ID, Kawasaki (3,11)
7) Eli Tomac, Cortez, CO, Honda (7,9)
8) Tommy Searle, Murrieta, CA, KTM (11,9)
9) Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, MO, Yamaha (12,12)
10) Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Yamaha (22,5)
AMA 250CC MOTOCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS
1) Christophe Pourcel, France, Kawasaki 340
2) Trey Canard, Shawnee, OK, Honda -38
3) Dean Wilson, Canada, Kawasaki -46
4) Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki -54
5) Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, GA, Honda -128
6) Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, TX, Honda -131
7) Broc Tickle, Holly, MI Yamaha -131
8) Eli Tomac, Cortez, CO, Honda -140
9) Jake Weimer, Rupert, ID, Kawasaki -145
10) Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Yamaha -163