After only nine and a half rounds of the Lucas Oil AMA Pro MX National Championship, Rockstar Energy/Makita Suzuki rookie rider Ryan Dungey clinched the 2010 crown. The 20-year old Minnesota native won the opening moto to claim his first 450cc championship at the Moto-X 338 track outside Southwick, Massachusetts, over the weekend. Dungey became the only motocross racer in history to win both the AMA Supercross title and the AMA outdoor national championship during his inaugural season. E3 Motorcycle Spark Plugs salutes Ryan Dungey for his stellar performance throughout the Lucas Oil championship.
Geico Powersports Honda rider Brett Metcalfe took the lead in Moto One with fellow Aussie Ben Townley in second aboard his Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil Honda. Both riders adapted well to the sandy hills of Southwick and showed they had the speed to win at Moto-X 338. But, a couple of laps into the first moto, Townley would clip the rear wheel of Metcalfe and go down. Townley recovered and was racing with Red Bull’s Andrew Short when the two Honda riders hooked handlebars sending both racers over the berm. Metcalfe was out front with a hard charging Dungey in second place.
As most E3 Spark Plugs Racing fans know, there are two things that are for certain when you race a track like Southwick Moto-X 338. First, it is going to get rough, very rough. Secondly, it is going to take more fuel to race 30 minutes on a hilly, sandy racetrack. Unfortunately, for Metcalfe, the pit crew for his Geico Powersports Honda did not remember part two. With less than a lap to go, Metcalfe’s Honda was out of gas and coasted to a stop. The Australian’s misfortune handed the lead and the 2010 Lucas Oil AMA Pro MX 450cc National Championship to Suzuki’s Ryan Dungey.
In Moto Two, the loyal Southwick crowd lined the fences as Townley grabbed an early lead ahead of newly crowned class champion Dungey in second followed by Red Bull Honda veteran Kevin Windham, Jagermeister KTM rider Mike Alessi and 2009 Southwick winner Matt Goerke. With twenty minutes to go, Dungey began to stalk Townley watching for the New Zealand rider to make a mistake. Once Townley did, Dungey railed an outside sand berm and took the lead for good. Goerke would pass Alessi and Windham to take over the third spot with a couple of laps to go. Alessi’s 3-4 finishes would give the KTM ace second overall for the day ahead of Goerke, Kyle Chisholm and Kevin Windham.
The AMA 450cc Pro MX teams head to Steel City Raceway, located just outside of Pittsburgh in Delmont, Pennsylvania, for the penultimate round of the 2010 AMA Lucas Oil MX Pro Championship on Labor Day Weekend. After announcing his retirement from motocross earlier this summer, former factory Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha rider Tim Ferry has been asked to serve as the honorary Grand Marshall for the FMF Steel City National on September 4th. If you are looking for championship performance from your street or dirt bike, insist upon E3 Motorcycle Spark Plugs for your motorcycle. Our patented DiamondFire Technology will deliver the Energy, Efficiency and Ecology that you need.
2010 LUCAS OIL AMA MOTOCROSS PRO CHAMPIONSHIP
AMA 450cc MX – Southwick MX National (Round 10)
1) Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, MN, Suzuki (1-1)
2) Mike Alessi, Victorville, CA, KTM (3-4)
3) Matt Goerke, Lake Helen, FL Yamaha (6-3)
4) Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, FL, Yamaha (4-6)
5) Kevin Windham, Centerville, MS, Honda (7,5)
6) Nic Wey, Dewitt, MI, Kawasaki (8-9)
7) Ben Townley, New Zealand, Honda (34-2)
8) Tommy Hahn, Decatur, TX, Suzuki (2-32)
9) Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Honda (14,7)
10) Dan Reardon, Australia, Yamaha (13,11)
AMA 450CC MOTOCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS
1) Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, MN, Suzuki 468
2) Andrew Short, Smithville, TX, Honda -151
3) Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Honda -154
4) Mike Alessi, Victorville, CA, KTM -195
5) Ben Townley, New Zealand, Honda -197
6) Josh Grant, Riverside, CA, Yamaha -208
7) Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, FL, Yamaha -252
8) Chad Reed, Australia, Kawasaki -264
9) Kyle Regal, Kemp, TX, Honda -267
10) Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, KY, Yamaha -274