Moto One was no surprise as Frenchman Christophe Pourcel (Kawasaki) had already won all but one opening moto during the 2010 Lucas Oil AMA 250cc Pro MX Championship series. Teammate, and last weekend’s rookie winner, Dean Wilson (Kawasaki) kept pace for a second overall followed by Honda’s Trey Canard who tasted the Denver soil earlier on. South Africa’s Tyla Rattray (Kawasaki) continued to show his world championship form with a strong ride to fourth ahead of three American motocross riders Broc Tickle (Yamaha), Blake Wharton (Honda) and Eli Tomac (Honda).
After several years of racing under the lights in Lakewood, Colorado, promoters moved the Thunder Valley National race to daytime for 2010. Oklahoma rider Trey Canard must have liked the change as he took the lead in Moto Two ahead of his Honda teammate Blake Wharton. Early on, Scottish rider (via Canada) Dean Wilson and his Pro Circuit Kawasaki teammates Pourcel and Rattray followed in close pursuit. Pourcel would chase down the Geico Powersports Honda rider Canard in Moto Two giving Pourcel his first double moto win of the season. Canard crossed the line in second place followed by Wilson and Rattray.
The ladies returned to action this weekend at the Thunder Valley National in Lakewood, Colorado. Red Bull Honda rider Ashley Fiolek put her number one plate out front early but lost the top spot to Yamaha’s Jessica Patterson when she bobbled in the deep Thunder Valley ruts. Fiolek and Tarah Gieger (Honda) would tangle in a fight for the second spot allowing Patterson to coast to the overall win. Patterson leads the womens division of the AMA National Championship series ahead of fellow Florida WMX riders Fiolek and Gieger.
Don’t forget to check the E3 Motorcycle Spark Plugs website next weekend as teams head east to Buchanan, Michigan, for round six of the 2010 Lucas Oil AMA Pro MX Championship at the Red Bud Motocross National. If you want Energy, Efficiency and Ecology from your car spark plug, insist on E3 Spark Plugs and trust our patented DiamondFire technology to deliver more power and better mileage from a cleaner burn.
Click “more” to see to see full results.
2010 Lucas Oil AMA Motocross Pro Championship
AMA 250cc MX – Lakewood National (Round 5)
1) Christophe Pourcel, France, Kawasaki (1-1)
2) Trey Canard, Shawnee, OK., Honda (3-2)
3) Dean Wilson, Canada, Kawasaki (2-3)
4) Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki (4-4)
5) Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, TX, Honda (6-5)
6) Broc Tickle, Holly, MI, Yamaha (5-6)
7) Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Yamaha (8-8)
8) Eli Tomac, Cortez, CO, Honda (7-9)
9) Cole Seely, Newbury Park, CA, Honda (9-12)
10) Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, GA, Honda (16-7))
AMA 250CC MOTOCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS
1) Christophe Pourcel, France, Kawasaki 219
2) Dean Wilson, Canada, Kawasaki -34
3) Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki -39
4) Trey Canard, Shawnee, OK, Honda -57
5) Broc Tickle, Holly, MI Yamaha -68
6) Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, GA, Honda -79
7) Eli Tomac, Cortez, CO, Honda -84
8) Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, TX, Honda -107
9) Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Yamaha -111
10) Wil Hahn, Decatur, TX, Honda -113