While some states are still enjoying summer-like weather, others to the north already are feeling a chill in the air. Here in sunny Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida where E3 Spark Plugs is based, we’re basking in 87-degree temperatures at the time of this writing. Meanwhile, the lead story on Weather.com is the record-early snowfall that has already hit Rapid City, South Dakota; Boulder, Colorado; and North Platte, Nebraska. Sorry ’bout your luck, guys.
Wherever you live, it’s important to know that your ride is ready for the chill. To that end, E3 Spark Plugs offers these tips for preparing your vehicle for the fall and winter seasons:
- Check your charge. Cold weather can be hard on your car batteries. Have your vehicle’s battery and charging system checked to assure they’re primed for optimal performance and give your battery terminals a good cleaning. If it’s been a few years, it may be time to spring for a new battery.
- Check, top off or replace all fluids including oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, cold-weather windshield washer fluid and especially antifreeze.
- Make sure your car’s heater, defroster and windshield wipers are in top working order. If it’s been six months since you last replaced your windshield wipers, it’s time for a new set.
- Check your tires to make sure you’ve got plenty of tread depth and tire pressure. If you live in an area where snow or ice can be an issue, consider switching to snow tires or others designed to grip slick roads.
- Have your vehicle’s exhaust system checked for carbon monoxide leaks, which can be particularly dangerous during cold weather driving when windows remain rolled up.
- Check your headlights, tail lights and brake lights. Shorter periods of sunlight make it tougher for you to see other vehicles on the road, and tougher for them to see you as well.
- Check or replace your spark plugs. Worn, fouled or cracked spark plugs can cause misfires, muddle your car’s performance and eat up its fuel economy.
Got more winterizing tips to share? Post them on the E3 Spark Plugs Facebook Fan Page.