Canard Claims His First AMA MX Win at Red Bud
In Round 6 of the 2010 Lucas Oil 250cc AMA Pro MX Championship, E3 Spark Plugs Racing fans watched as Trey Canard attacked the rough Red Bud track to earn his first ever series win with 4-1 moto finishes. To no one’s surprise, Frenchman Christophe Pourcel controlled the pace in Moto One (the Pro Circuit Kawasaki ace has won four first motos in 2010) followed closely by his teammate and former World MX champion, Tyla Rattray. Scottish motocrosser Dean Wilson was again the tail gunner for Mitch Peyton’s trio finishing a solid third ahead of a pair of Honda riders Canard and Justin Barcia.
Wilson would rebound in Moto Two taking the lead early on lap one ahead of Rattray and Honda’s Blake Wharton. Former AMA MX star Sebastian Tortelli has been assigned to work with Wharton who had his best performance of the season aboard his 250cc Honda. At mid-point in the second moto, Kawasaki teammates Wilson and Rattray appeared to have everything under control ahead of Honda teammates Canard and Wharton. But, Canard picked up his pace and passed Rattray to move into second. With his sights set on winning, Canard would bump Wilson over the berm leading to LaRocco’s Leap causing the Kawasaki rider to forfeit the lead.
The Mike LaRocco-coached Canard would pull away leaving Wilson to battle with Rattray for the runner’s up spot. Rattray needed the position for the overall win at Red Bud and passed his teammate with two laps to go before he did a huge endo that ended the South African’s hopes for an overall victory. A hard-charging Justin Barcia would challenge Wilson several times on the final lap but Wilson would lead Barcia to the finish ahead of Wharton, Pourcel and Broc Tickle. After entering the 250cc outdoor MX season as one of the favorites, Canard claimed his first win of the 2010 series and closed to within 55 points of series leader Pourcel.
The Lites riders have two weeks off before the teams head to Millville, Minnesota, for the July 18th Spring Creek MX national. If you’re following the 2010 AMA Lucas Oil MX Pro Championship, check our E3 Spark Plugs Blog for full results from Round 7 of the championship series. Remember to ask for E3 Spark Plugs the next time you change plugs in your car, truck, motorcycle or lawn & garden equipment. Let our patented DiamondFire technology deliver Energy, Efficiency and Ecology for all of your engines.
2010 Lucas Oil AMA Motocross Pro Championship
AMA 250cc MX – Red Bud National (Round 6)
1) Trey Canard, Shawnee, OK., Honda (4-1)
2) Dean Wilson, Canada, Kawasaki (3-2)
3) Christophe Pourcel, France, Kawasaki (1-5)
4) Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, GA, Honda (5-3)
5) Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, TX, Honda (6-4)
6) Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki (2-11)
7) Broc Tickle, Holly, MI, Yamaha (7-6)
8) Jake Weimer, Rupert, ID, Kawasaki (11-7)
9) Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Yamaha (10-8)
10) Eli Tomac, Cortez, CO, Honda (12-9)
AMA 250CC MOTOCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS
1) Christophe Pourcel, France, Kawasaki 260
2) Dean Wilson, Canada, Kawasaki -33
3) Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki -48
4) Trey Canard, Shawnee, OK, Honda -55
5) Broc Tickle, Holly, MI Yamaha -80
6) Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, GA, Honda -84
7) Eli Tomac, Cortez, CO, Honda -104
8) Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, TX, Honda -115
9) Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Yamaha -128
10) Jake Weimer, Rupert, ID, Kawasaki -131