Top Five New Automotive Technologies Ahead
If there’s one constant in the automotive world, it’s constant change. The technologies we have today once were only dreamt of. And those that seem impossible today may well be commonplace tomorrow. Following is a rundown of the top five new automotive technologies coming down the pike, as selected by the gearheads and technophiles here at E3 Spark Plugs.
- Autonomous vehicles: Go ahead, sip that latte, snap that selfie and Tweet that LOL while heading to work. Mercedes-Benz, Audi and General Motors all have partially autonomous cars hitting the sales lots this year or next. And a new study suggests that by 2035, one in 10 cars sold in the US will be fully driverless.
- Driver Override Systems: Basically, you get to drive – until you make a boneheaded decision, at which point your car exercises its veto powers.
- Biometric Vehicle Access: No longer the stuff of spy movies only, you’ll soon be able to unlock your car doors and start your engine with a quick scan of your fingertip or eyeball.
- Active Window Displays: Initially developed for military aviation, Head-Up Display (HUD) technology soon will allow for vibrant, themed navigation images projected onto your windshield.
- Reconfigurable Body Panels: Perfect for the driver who just can’t make up his or her mind, reconfigurable body panels will allow you to turn that SUV into a pickup truck. With the push of a button, the roof and side glass retracts into the lower body panels. Toss in a stow-and-go seat and you’re off.
Which new automotive technology are you most anticipating? Share your thoughts on the E3 Spark Plugs Facebook Fan Page.